Thursday, August 29, 2013

PUMPKIN PICKN'

Yes......I picked three baby pumpkins from my garden today!!!!! They have not completely turned orange yet....but they will. The weather has been crazy so I went ahead and picked them early. They should be ripe in a week or so. The plan has been to make pumpkin bread with my granddaughter when they are ready. You may be wondering why I am so excited about three little ol' pumpkins...well......the story goes like this. Last year my granddaughter planted a seed in her pre-school class and then when it was big enough she planted it in my garden. It did get one little pumpkin but it fell off. We both were very sad about this.....so I was determined to get the girl a pumpkin this year. We planted five plants...I researched how to grow pumpkins on line and found out they needed to be pollenated at least 5-6 times each. The suggestion I took to heart was to plant a lot of flowers around the plants. I did just that! California poppies, marigolds, sunflowers, and pansies surrounded them and the bumble bees were buzzing and buzzing landing on the pumpkin blooms. Hooray....for our pumpkins!!!!


Pumpkin bloom...buzzing bee.

Buzzing bee.

You can see two of the pumpkins in this photo.

All three cute little pumpkins!

Maggie's cute little pumpkins finally got ripe. We chopped them up 
and made pumpkin muffins with them!

Steaming the pumpkin.

Yummy pumpkin muffins!



No comments:

Post a Comment